Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) is a process that uses technology to verify provider visits for personal or home health care services. EVV gives providers, case managers, and DOM access to service delivery information in real-time to ensure there are no gaps in care throughout the entire course of the service plan. The technology helps to reduce the occurrence of fraud in home-care delivery by removing the elements most closely associated with improper record-keeping, including paper timesheets and manual billing.
At a minimum, EVV electronically verifies the:
- Type of service performed;
- Individual receiving the service;
- Individual providing the service;
- Date the service was provided;
- Location of service delivery; and
- Time the service begins and ends.
Why is Mississippi implementing EVV?
In December 2016, Congress enacted the 21st Century Cures Act, which requires states to implement EVV for Medicaid-financed Personal Care Services and Home Health Care Services by Jan. 1, 2020, and Jan. 1, 2023, respectively, to avoid a reduction in federal Medicaid funding. The Act contributes to Mississippi Medicaid’s mission of responsibly providing access to quality health coverage for vulnerable Mississippians.
Good Faith Effort Exemption (GFE) Request for Home Health Care Services – The Cures Act includes a provision that allows states to delay implementation of EVV for up to one year if they can demonstrate they have made a good faith effort to comply with EVV requirements and have encountered unavoidable delays. DOM submitted a GFE Request Form on behalf of the State of Mississippi and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) granted approval. The GFE approval extends the final deadline for implementing EVV for Home Health Care Services to Jan. 1, 2024.
EVV Upgrade Go-Live Planned for August 2023
EVV Upgrade Phase II Go-Live Planned for December 2023
Where can more information be found about Mississippi’s EVV Implementation?
You can find more details about our EVV implementation along with some printable material to share within the Medicaid community by clicking any of the following links:
- EVV for Personal Care Service Providers
- EVV for Home Health Services Providers
- EVV for Members/Caregivers
- EVV Schedule of Events
Also, to receive more news and alerts about our efforts towards a successful EVV implementation here in Mississippi, you can:
- Check out our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/msmedicaid/
- Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MSMedicaid
- Search the hashtags: #MSEVV and #MSMedicaid
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have more questions regarding Mississippi’s EVV implementation.
Sign up to receive notifications of upcoming EVV activities by emailing your request to email@example.com.