It has come to the attention of the Division of Medicaid that prescription billing issues exist for newborn babies of mothers enrolled in MississippiCAN plans.
The process is as follows:
- Pharmacy bills regular Medicaid using the mother’s Medicaid identification number followed by the letter K (otherwise known as K baby). Use the baby’s name and baby’s date of birth or DOB on the claim.
- Even though the mother is assigned to a coordinated care plan (Magnolia or UnitedHealthcare), bill the claim to Medicaid.
- Claim should pay unless there are prior authorization requirements.
- This process generates a temporary Medicaid Identification number which is assigned to the newborn overnight.
- The Provider can call the Xerox Provider and Beneficiary Services toll-free at 800-884-3222 the next day to obtain the baby’s temporary Medicaid identification number. This number should be used to bill Medicaid for the baby’s subsequent claims until the baby is enrolled in MSCAN.
Please contact Xerox for all K baby claims questions.