The Mississippi Family Planning Waiver Demonstration program is for women and men who receive Medicaid benefits limited to family planning services and family planning related services. This includes one annual visit and subsequent visits related to their birth control methods and family planning services. Beneficiaries cannot exceed a total of four visits per calendar year (Jan. 1 – Dec. 31). These beneficiaries are not eligible to receive any other Medicaid benefits.
Beneficiaries certified as eligible for family planning services and family planning related services must re-certify every year to remain eligible for the family planning waiver demonstration. Loss of eligibility will occur when beneficiary:
- Moves from the state of Mississippi
- Becomes eligible for another Medicaid aid category
- Becomes pregnant
- Reaches 45 years of age
- Has a procedure performed that prevents them from reproducing
- Obtains Medicare, CHIP, or any other health insurance or third party medical coverage
- Requests that their case be closed.
Mississippi Family Planning Waiver Demonstration program approved through December 31, 2027
- Family Planning Waiver Special Terms and Conditions (STCs) with Attachment A and B approved by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2027
Who is Eligible for Family Planning?
Beneficiaries must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Family income no more than 194 percent of the federal poverty level (post Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) conversion)
- Must be capable of reproducing ages 13-44 years of age.
- Must not have had a procedure that prevents them from reproducing.
- Must not have Medicare, CHIP, or any other health insurance or third party medical coverage.
Family income no more than 194 percent of the federal poverty level (post Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) conversion)
The automated voice response system (AVRS) eligibility transaction response will identify these beneficiaries as eligible for family planning services only, in Medicaid Aid Category 029 (Family Planning).
Women and men who qualify will be issued a yellow Medicaid identification card to denote that they are in the Family Planning Waiver demonstration program.
Family Planning Waiver Resources
- Family Planning Waiver diagnosis and procedure codes
- Family Planning Waiver services application form
- Family Planning Waiver Demonstration 2019 Annual Report
- Family Planning Waiver Demonstration 2021 Annual Report
- Family Planning Waiver Demonstration 2022 Annual Report
Effective January 1, 2015, beneficiaries enrolled in the Family Planning waiver demonstration program may have a prescription for contraceptives and/or medications to treat a sexually transmitted infection (STI)/sexually transmitted disease (STD) written by any Medicaid participating provider filled at their local Medicaid participating pharmacy.