The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) developed the National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) to promote national correct coding methodologies and to eliminate improper coding. The Affordable Care Act of 2010 required state Medicaid programs to incorporate compatible NCCI methodologies in their systems for processing Medicaid claims.
NCCI associated modifiers may be appended when and only when appropriate clinical circumstances are documented in accordance with the NCCI policies and the HCPCS/CPT Manual instructions/definitions for the modifier/procedure code combination.
- Find more information about the CMS National Correct Coding Initiative in Medicaid on the Medicaid website. The Medicaid NCCI Policy Manual should be reviewed for more on the appropriate use of modifiers.
- Mississippi Medicaid Billing Handbook
NCCI Billing Guidance
A procedure or service code included in the attached documents is not an indication of coverage. Please verify coverage on the Medicaid Envision web portal.
- Global Surgical Days – effective Jan. 1, 2015
- Bilateral Code List – effective Jan. 1, 2016
- Multiple Surgery Code List – effective Jan. 1, 2016
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services establishes new procedure-to-procedure associated modifiers – effective Jan. 1, 2015