The Independent Living Waiver is a home and community-based waiver that provides services to beneficiaries who, but for the provision of such services would require the level of care found in a nursing facility. This statewide waiver is administered jointly by the Division of Medicaid and the Department of Rehabilitation Services.
Emergency Preparedness and Response the COVID-19
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has approved the below Appendix K: Emergency Preparedness and Response in response to the COVID-19 outbreak for the Independent Living Waiver.
- Combined Addendum to 1915(c) Appendix K – CMS Approved September 30, 2020
- IL 0255 – 1915c Appendix K Final – CMS Approved on April 7, 2020
Who is Eligible for the Independent Living Waiver?
Eligibility for the Independent Living Wavier is limited to individuals age 16 years old or older, who have severe orthopedic and/or neurological impairments. Individuals must also be medically stable and be able to express ideas and wants either verbally or nonverbally with caregivers, personal care attendants, case managers, or others involved in their care.
Beneficiaries of this waiver must be Medicaid eligible in one of the following categories of eligibility:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Low Income Families and Children Program
- Disabled Child Living at Home
- Working Disabled
- Children Under Age 19 Under 100% of Poverty
- Disabled Adult Child
- Protected Foster Care Adolescents
- CWS Foster Children and Adoption Assistance Children
- IV-E Foster Children and Adoption Assistance Children
- Income level up to 300% of the SSI federal benefit rate
Independent Living Waiver Services
Services provided under the IL waiver include:
- case management
- personal care attendant
- environmental accessibility adaptations
- specialized medical equipment and supplies
- transition assistance
- Independent Living Waiver – Approved Effective October 1, 2019
- 1915(b)(4) Waiver Fee-for-Service Selective Contracting Program – Approved Effective August 9, 2017
- Independent Living Waiver brochure
- Independent Living Waiver Amendment Public Notice – August 16, 2019