Mississippi Preferred Drug List (PDL)
The Mississippi Division of Medicaid (DOM)’s universal preferred drug list (PDL) is for all Medicaid, MississippiCAN and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) beneficiaries.
PDL Change Provider Notices
- PDL changes provider notice: effective May 1, 2019
- PDL changes provider notice: effective July 1, 2019
The PDL is a medication list recommended to DOM by the P&T Committee and approved by the executive director of DOM. Drugs designated as preferred have been selected for their efficaciousness, clinical significance, cost effectiveness and safety for Medicaid beneficiaries. The PDL addresses certain drug classes:
- Some drug classes will not be reviewed for preferred status because of no and/or limited cost savings, if the class is all and/or mostly generic, or if there is low utilization in that class.
- Drugs, historically covered by Medicaid and not listed on the PDL, will continue to be covered.
- DOM may opt to include or delete drug classes from PDL review in the future.
New drugs introduced into the marketplace in therapeutic classes that have been reviewed will be considered non-preferred until no later than the annual review of the particular therapeutic class.
- Not reviewed (NR) notation on the PDL document indicates a new drug that has not yet been reviewed by the P&T Committee.
Other items to note on the PDL document:
- Drugs highlighted in yellow, on the PDL document, denote a change in PDL status.
- Preferred brands do not count toward the monthly brand service limit. However, preferred brands count toward the drug service limit of 5/month.
- Unless otherwise specified, the listing of a particular brand or generic name includes all dosage forms of that drug.
Non-Preferred Drug Overview
Medicaid-covered drugs noted as “non-preferred” will continue to be available through the prior authorization process. A three-day emergency supply of prior-authorized drugs can be dispensed by a pharmacy until authorization is completed.
- 72 hour emergency supply billing instructions – effective Sept. 28, 2018
- Change Healthcare – PDL vendor
Preferred Drug List Archive
For more information about past PDLs and preferred/non-preferred drug lists, visit the Preferred Drug List Archive.